PolskiEnglish NewsletterLocationAttractionSpecial offersGallery
Villa Józefina History

Villa History

 

The biggest and most modern glassworks in Szklarska Poręba was named „Josephine” (polish Józefina) and its opening took place in 1842. Today its name is “Julia” (engl. Juliett). At the same time the Josephinehutte Hotel (today Willa Józefina) starts into service. The first managing director of the glassworks was Mr. Franz Pohl, prominent technologist engineer.

The glassworks used to produce wide variety of glass: leaded glass, coloured glass, glass mirrors, cut and carved glasses. For years, Josephinehutte appeared one of the best glassworks in the world. Glass products originating from Szklarska Poręba appeared worldwide well known, specifically since the London’s Expo in 1851.

 

The meritable reputation of the “Josephinehutte glass” was strongly established after the consecutive World Expoes at Paris in 1867 and Venna in 1873.  The “secession period” in Europe, made the Josephinehutte glass undergoing new trends and conforming artistic guidelines of the new style. The glass made here distinguished with rich painting decoration in connection with gilding. Its intensive colours created the expressive background for stylised plants painting.

 

After the years of the Economical Crisis of the last century “twenties” in Germany, the main trend in glass production appeared crystal glass of Art Deco style. Fashionable and stylish glass services for various beverages, crystal sets for sweets and for alcohols have been made

in those days. Considering the artistic standards the  special attention is to be paid to Mr. Wenzl and Mr. Edgar Benn, both  for their engraving craftsmanship.

The animals and birds, flowers and fruits were the most favourable motives, precisely engraved by them.

 

After the WW2, the glassworks in Szklarska Poręba did not stop their production. Since 1956 it still worked under the new name Huta Szkła Kryształowego “Julia” (Cristal Glassworks “Julia”). Such artists like Henryk A. Tomaszewski, Jan Owsiewski and the couple of Regina and Aleksander Puchała have been engaged in creating the glass works in those days.

At the begining of nineties of the XX century, the production stopped as the result of privatisation of the factory.  Nowadays the historic glassworks slowly go into devastation.

 

Edited by Glasmuseum Passau in Germany the important and beautifull book entitled “Grafliche Schaffgotsch’sche Josephinenhutte – Kunstfabrik in Schreiberhau und Franz Pohl 1842 – 1900” with subtitle “Ein Beitrag ..........” [ISBN .......] (unfortunately issued only in German and English version). The continuation of the book has been promised by author – Ms Stefania Żelasko.

 

 

Dream place

SZKLARSKA PORĘBA lies in the south-western Poland in “województwo dolnośląskie” (engl. Lower Silesian county or voivodeship) in “powiat jeleniogórski (engl. Jelenia Góra district). The town is situated in the Kamienna river valley with its tributaries of Kamieńczyk and Szklarka.

Since 1891 the meteorological station exists here. Specific microclimat of the area reminds   us of the really alpine towns and  villages.

 

Szklarska Poręba was included to Polish territory right after the WW2 and its first name was PISARZEWIEC, however, shortly after that the name Szklarska Poręba has been accepted.

Book a room
Name:
E-mail:
Phone:
Address:
Number in Party:
Length of Stay:doby
Arrival Date:
Additional Comment:
©2010 Willa Józefina Welcome- About- Apartments- Price- Booking- Contact B&P.design Logo